Saturday, July 5, 2014

Strawberries - 1

So this is one of two plants that I have going that I did not start out as seeds and that are not organic. Next year I'll start them sooner so I can either start them as seeds myself or at least get in on the organic selection before they are gone! They will appease my children for now.

In an earlier post I mentioned that my strawberries had a story. Originally, they were an "on whim" buy as I thought they would give my daughter a good experience. And boy have they. After either my youngest (my son) or my dog ate the leaves off of my second plant I got a new one that had strawberries already on it (it was a bit farther along). That one is barely hanging on. Most of it is gone and I don't know if what remains will make it. My first little strawberry plant has done great though. It hasn't produced strawberries but it is about too!

Two flowers just closed up and a third bloomed today. I'm excited!


See!! Within a few days I'll be seeing little white buds pop up from both of them. The second one is harder to see but they are both right next to eachother and look like little strawberrie hat leaves (that's what I call them anyways). 

I love strawberries. I have a couple of lbs of them currently sitting in my fridge waiting to be dehydrated (the cherries are going right now). They make such perfect little "chips" and are good for baking too. I didn't get any more pictures of the strawberrie plants but I can see a couple others prepating to let out some flowers and will definitely post more about my strawberries. 

Before my daughter killed off (well, almost killed off) the second plant, it had a tiny strawberry on it that would have gotten a lot larger but since it got pulled off... small is better then nothing so I somehow managed to get a little taste in for me and the two kiddos. It was heaven in strawberry form. I am not exaggerating. ;)

Because I've only got one little plant and it will only put off a few strawberries, the family and I are going to a pick-ur-own farm in August (or two) to pick a whole ton of fresh strawberries. We'll eat some and dehydrate some. I'm excited for August haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment