Saturday, July 5, 2014

Cucumber - 1

Cucumbers tend to be fighters, I think. I'm not sure. It was the only seed that managed to germinate in my alkalie infested waste of work (lol). Though a tomato is holding on as well. I also started these via the baggy method. I figured since 1 seed didn't germinate with my cantaloupe I would do an extra one of the cucumber to make sure it worked out. Well, all five of them germinated! Unfortunately, it appears only two survived the transplant. (Exact opposite of my cantaloupe huh?) I'm thinking it's possible the roots were damaged when I tried to separate them from the paper towel. Regardless, so long as two survived I should be good!


Look familiar? Well it should! It looks practically identical to my cantaloupe. It is a seedling as well and once the little center starts budding leaves (you can see the start just a bit in the picture) a difference will be more obvious. I'm excited about these too.

If I manage to grow this garden like I want, we'll have some burgers with home grown lettuce and tomato (hell, I'll have to make the buns myself just for good measure), a home grown salad, fresh fruit (strawberries and cantaloupe) for dessert. If I make some pinto beans myself we'll have an almost 100% homegrown meal and almost all of it will be organic too... that's 100% awesomeness right there!

No comments:

Post a Comment