Friday, July 25, 2014

Strawberries - 5

Family gardening - strawberries


This is my 5th post about my strawberry plants but this is the first one where I actually show a tiny strawberry that is forming. Turns out, that if the flowers don't get pollinated you won't get any fruit and because my garden is so small, it isn't attracting enough bees and other pollinating insects. There IS a solution to this called hand pollinating which, at least for me, involved a very fine and soft paint brush and me "painting" across the sprigs from the middle of the flower to the petal.

And, as a result I have this little growing strawberry for it! It's about time. I had gotten so excited about all the flowers I didn't even bother to really look into how they work and what role insects play in them.

So, while I have no idea how many strawberries i will actually end up with... I will end up with some! :D


In this second picture we see a different part of my strawberry plant. We have one bloom on the far left that has already bloomed and begun to turn into a strawberry. Then we have a bright strawberry flower that will soon do the same (I need to go and paint it) and then we see two other blooms that haven't quite opened yet. From what I read, my kiddos and I should be eating home grown strawberries within 6 week! Woot.


No comments:

Post a Comment