Friday, April 10, 2015

Jalapenos

This post won't show a whole lot... thought it has been the most stressful of what I have growing so far.

The packet said to get the jalapenos growing inside 8-10 weeks before the last frost (which was roughly 2 weeks ago when I planted them). My onion sets came up. Then my garlic came up. Then the flowers came up... but no Jalapeno spouts. I had been putting them outside because the weather here has been so nice! While we're in Colorado, the little town we recently moved to doesn't get near as cold as the cities we had formerly lived in and the temps were already up into the mid 60s and even the early 70s! Outside seemed like the perfect place for the pot to be.

But, the packet said inside and I should have listened (I was bringing them in at night but still). Well, I'd only planted a few seeds and gave the rest to my mother-in-law (MIL) so she could grow some as well. Figuring my seeds didn't take, I got another packet and figured I'd germinate a few inside. I had great success doing this with other plants last year and it was a safe bet.

Then... about 2-3 days ago I went outside, or rather my daughter did, and excitedly gasped that there was green in the otherwise, brown pot! Sure enough, there was a little jalapeno sprout. Since then, the other one has popped up too. Once they get a good bit larger, I'll transplant them into their own pots and have some jalapenos by the end of summer (I hope).


No comments:

Post a Comment